Open Enrollment is the process that allows families to complete an application to attend a school other than their assigned neighborhood school. (Not sure which is your assigned school-of-residence? Use PUSD’s School Locator.) Although many families choose to attend their neighborhood school, some families find another program, school culture, or school location to be more in line with the needs of their family.
The Open Enrollment process is a random lottery where students are admitted to schools outside their neighborhood based on the available seats projected at any given school. Since the process is reviewed each year, there may be changes for the 2019-2020 school year. For the 2018-19 school year, the timeline began with priority registration for siblings and special programs in October and concluded at the end of April 2018. Detailed information can be found on the PUSD website’s Open Enrollment page.
NOTE: To enter Kindergarten, a student must turn five years old by September 1. Students with fall birth dates (Sept 2-Dec 2) may choose to enroll in a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program. TK programs are located on seven PUSD campuses, and students are assigned according to residential address. TK is not part of the Open Enrollment process. An expanded TK program is also available to children turning five Dec. 3-Mar. 31.
Data from the 2017 Open Enrollment process, organized by school/grade, were released by the District’s Office of Permits in September. PEN has summarized this data – including the number of projected lottery openings and whether space remained available at the end of Open Enrollment in May 2017 – on each of our school fact sheets. Last year’s numbers are not predictive of the number of open seats or demand for those seats in future years. Projected openings for the 2018-2019 school year were posted in January 2018, prior to the start of the general application period.
- PUSD hosts its “First Choice Festival Schools Fair”
- Priority Enrollment is typically in late fall for sibling preference, dual language program 5th graders, and Willard IB 5th graders matriculating to IB at Blair. (Oct. 30-Nov. 17, 2017)
- PEN hosts our annual Navigating Open Enrollment meeting (Nov. 27, 2017) where PUSD staff review the procedures with parents and answer questions. Notes and presentation material will be posted after the program.
- PUSD website posts the projected number of seats that will be available to Open Enrollment students for each grade at each school (by Jan. 11, 2018)
- Open Enrollment application submission period typically takes place from mid-January to the beginning of February (Jan. 11-Feb. 2, 2018)
- Parents can select 3-5 schools on their Open Enrollment application, ranked in order of preference (exact number to be confirmed)
- Random lottery takes place in February
- Lottery results are mailed to families and posted online by end of February (Feb. 26, 2018)
- Families accepted to one of their enrollment choices register at their school in March (Mar. 1-16, 2018). These families are now finished with the OE process.
- PUSD Second Lottery Applications and Applications of Interest from Out-of-District families are accepted online in early April (April 1-6, 2018)
- 2nd Lottery results are mailed and posted online mid-April (April 18, 2018); students who do not get any of their choices in the 2nd lottery are placed on waiting lists for their first choice schools.
- Families register at their school in late April (April 19-27, 2018)
- Open Enrollment ends at the end of April (April 30, 2018)
- Inter-district transfer requests for families who live outside of the PUSD boundaries, may be submitted (May 7-June 15, 2018)
- Requests to forfeit a permit and and New-to PUSD Intradistrict Requests accepted at District office only (June 6-Aug. 10, 2018)