On-site Parent Programs
PEN wants to ensure that all parents have access to the information and resources they need to support their children’s school success from an early age. Therefore, we offer on-site parent programs in both English and Spanish for parents of children from preschool through high school.
School Administrators or parents interested in scheduling free on-site workshops should contact PEN’s Director of Parent Engagement Laura Diaz or text her at 213/434-4000.
Parents of Preschool-aged children
According to studies, children achieve at higher levels when their parents engage in educational activities with them at home. As a result of this involvement, their children are better equipped to be successful in school and make better life decisions. Early childhood education is where this begins. However, many parents don’t have the knowledge or skills to know what to do to support and extend their children’s early education. At PEN’s School Readiness Programs, parents of preschoolers learn how to support their children’s learning, engage in educational activities, and ensure that both parents and children develop good habits before they enter kindergarten. Choose from one of these topics and we will personalize it based on the needs of your families and school.
Ready to Learn:
1. How to support young children’s language development
2. Reading to Children - How, When & Why
3. Helping Young Children Internalize Routines
4. How to Spot Developmental Issues & Seek Support
5. Developing Habits for Good Health & Wellness
Transition to Kindergarten:
1. Practical information and strategies so preschool parents and students are prepared for Kindergarten
2. How to support children at home so they will be successful in school
Enrolling in a PUSD School:
1. Choosing an Elementary School
2. Open Enrollment application hands-on help
Kindergarten Here We Come:
1. What parents need to know about kindergarten including how how to support your children at home, how to effectively communicate with teachers and school staff, involvement opportunities, and advocacy skill
2. Establishing habits and routines for student success
Parents of School-aged Children
Parents will gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to be a school volunteer, advocate, and leader. We’ll cover common obstacles, focus on strengths, set goals, and share ways to get the support that parents and students need to be successful.
Start the School Year Right:
What parents need to know to help children start school on the right foot...from how much sleep children need and healthy snack ideas, to mindfulness activities and communicating with their child’s teacher.
The Road to Success:
1. Welcome to Kindergarten
2. Healthy living for student success
3. Supporting student success at home & school
4. Creating a home environment for homework success
5. Getting the most from parent/teacher conferences
6. Help you middle schooler get and stay organized
7. Parent involvement and leadership opportunities
8. Know your rights and responsibilities
9. Advocating for your student, and all students
Parents As Leaders: Choose from either a training or from five 10- to 20-minute interactive workshops designed to help your PTA, ELAC, AAPC or other parent group function more effectively.
Important! Parents who wish to include PEN’s on-site programs in their school’s parent engagement workshop list should communicate with PUSD’s office of Family Community Engagement (Elizabeth Palomares or Suzanne Berberian) and request 1-2 topics early in the school year.
Our parent education programs are supported in part with funds received from the Pasadena Tournament of Roses® Foundation and the Pasadena Community Foundation.